The most recent statistics on online video and YouTube are mind-blowing: Nielsen reported that Americans streamed 15 billion videos in the most recently recorded month (May 2011). While traditional TV viewing was up only 0.2% over last year, Internet video viewing was up 35% and mobile video viewing went up 20%.
Before you throw all your marketing dollars into YouTube, however, you might want toconsider this other statistic: 35 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube… every minute. In the time it takes you to read this article, about two weeks of fresh content will be posted. Watch the video below and add another three days.
In other words, there’s a lot of competition for those eyeballs. So, how do you maximize your YouTube marketing results?
1) Create content that addresses your audience’s needs. Your goal should be to create videos that are helpful, valuable and compelling to your prospects and clients.
2) Your videos should be findable both within and outside of YouTube. Videos often appear on the first page of search engines, and are a proven method of leap-frogging your competition to the top of the search results page.
3) Brand your YouTube channel, create a custom background and choose your colors to match your branding.
4) Add annotations to your YouTube videos that include clickable calls to action. These annotations appear on top of your videos for a specified length of time and can include links to other videos, playlists or channels, or include a subscribe option.
5) Create a bulletin and a link to a video that will appear on your subscribers’ and friends’ home pages.
6) Use YouTube ads.
7) Leverage other social media platforms.
8 ) Gather information on an individual video or on all the videos you’ve uploaded.